Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Mommy's Running Around!

This week, I would like to highlight a good friend of mine, Kristy, and her blog, Mommmy's Running Around. Kristy is a wife and mother of two preschool-aged children. She is also a nurse and has a passion for health and fitness. Kristy and I first were introduced through a common love of music and worship at our church, and both served on the worship team. We quickly found that we had a lot more in common than music, and we made it a point to get together during the warm Spring and Summer months for a few runs. Last year we ran the Shape Diva Dash Obstacle Course and The Colfax 5K. She smoked me. I mean... really smoked me, She could have rubbed it in and done a victory dance, but instead, she was so encouraging and positive, which is something I really appreciate about someone who is good at what they do... having a good attitude and humility.
I remember having a discussion with a personal trainer one time that told me if I wanted to have a "productive" run, my treadmill shouldn't be set at anything below a 6. My incline should be nothing lower than a 4, and I should never run for more than 20-25 minutes, unless I was training for a marathon. So... that's where I started. My treadmill at a 6, my incline at a 4, and I ran for exactly.... 5 minutes. 5 minutes! I felt so defeated, and I thought, "Oh my goodness. I will never be a runner. Running is awful!" It wasn't until I let go of those unrealistic goals in the beginning, that I really did begin to enjoy running. I eventually worked my way up to those goals, but it was definitely a challenge. You may be like I was in the beginning, and needing some practical advice from someone who lives it. That's why I asked Kristy to share with us some insight she has in the topic of running, health, and fitness in general.

How did you begin running, and have you always had an interest in fitness?
Kristy:
 "I really started running in college. My first run was 7 minutes long, with a friend who had to lie to me about the time so I would keep going! I have ALWAYS had an interest in healthy eating, but I never had considered myself an exercise junkie."

How has fitness effected your life?
Kristy:
"Wow, in a major way! I rarely get sick, and being a Mom to 2 small children in cold season, this is a PLUS! I get time to think, pray. I listen to sermons during my runs almost every day! I have LOTS of energy to keep up with my family. I have minimal mood swings; (I think that is one of the greatest benefits)!"


On a typical week, as a mother of your children, what does your fitness schedule look like?
Kristy:
"I run about 5-6 days a week averaging 30-35 miles. I get up VERY early to make it happen! Most days, I am up by 5 a.m. for coffee and Bible time. I go to our neighborhood rec center (a block from my house) and use the treadmill (free). I prefer to run outside in the Summer, but don't in the Winter months due to the dark. I try to be back to the house between 7:15-7:30."


Wow! That's dedication! What would your advice be to someone just beginning to run? How would you encourage them?
Kristy:
"Start slow, build a running base (like run 3 times a week for 1-3 miles each time). My first year of running was 1 mile 3 times a week. Be consistent. Don't be hard on yourself if you have to take walk breaks. Not every run feels AMAZING! You will probably feel exhausted until your body adapts. Run a race, like a 5k. Find some running buddies!"


What have been your favorite organized runs?
Kristy:
"The Bix7 in Davenport, Iowa (a 7 mile crazy hilly race that is a HUGE community festivity!)  I LOVE Bolder Boulder, because it kind of reminds me of the Bix!!!  I also have run the Platt River 1/2 marathon a few times and will again this April!"
Finally, do you have any favorite gear or equipment you LOVE for running that you can leave us with? 
Kristy:
"I really like Brooks running shoes.  I went to Road Runner shoe store this last year and learned that I over-pronate.  Brooks Ravenna have great stability and arch support!  I have one pair of compression tights that I wear on long runs (helps with circulation.)  I love having my smart phone for podcasts and Pandora.  I bought a Garmin Forerunner GPS watch on Craigslist for $100 last Summer (it is normally over $200 I think).  It is VERY accurate in terms of pace.  I used it for a 15k race and it was only off by 2 seconds!  I have used Map My Run, but have found that my pace was not as accurate as my Garmin.  That being said, for a beginner who does not want to spend a ton of money on a GPS watch, it is a great alternative!"

Kristy's insight sure left me encouraged, and I hope you feel the same. If you are new to fitness, and find yourself discouraged (as we all have), don't give up! Keep plugging away at your personal goals, and you will be sure to see positive results on the inside and out!




2 comments:

  1. You make me sound AMAZING!!!! LOL... I think YOU are awesome and sweet and a great friend!! Thank you so much, Erin! When it gets warmer outside, we need to get together for a run!!! Or we could try the Diva Dash again! I got to work on the Monkey Bars! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are AMAZING! Thanks for your insight, Kristy! Yes, let's do the diva dash again this year. I'll be working on the monkey bars!

    ReplyDelete